Monday, July 19, 2004

Hair today, gone tomorrow.....

So I decided to get my hair cut Thursday night. It's been bothering me for months... I last got it highlighted in April, and trimmed in mid-May... but I was ready for a change. Ya see, I have terribly, terribly thick, long hair. And it was layered - A LOT - to reduce the 'bush effect' (AKA "Cleopatra head") but the layers had since grown out, and I just wasn't happy with it. It's fairly straight, though I'd noticed that over the last few years, it would occasionally take on a bit of a wave if left to it's own devices (my Mom said hers started to do the same thing when she hit 30).

Mind you, it's in great condition, and when I take the time to blow dry it, it looks beautiful. But let's be realisitic - who has the extra 30 minutes each morning to do this daily? NOT ME!

I'd been toying with the idea of a radical change. I didn't actually want to go SHORT, but I wanted it to be a bit more fun, and easier to deal with - something more versatile (as this time of year, I tend to pull it back into a ponytail almost every day, just to get it "out of my hair" so-to-speak!).

Then a few weeks ago I started watching "Blow Out" on Bravo. I fell in LOVE with Kimberly's hair (the assitant-turned-stylist!). Her hair seemed to have about the same texture as mine, and I loved that it was still long, but had great style.

So off I went to my salon. When I called, I learned my "ususal" girl wasn't in that day, but I was in such a hurry, I opted to make an appointment with another stylist there. Upon arriving, I discussed what I wanted, and lucky for me, she knew (as soon as I uttered the words "Blow Out") just what I had in mind!)

She went to snipping away, and I felt sure I was in good hands. When she went to cutting my bangs (which I've not had in YEARS), she asked how long - I said I wanted them long and heavy. She pulled my hair down to below my eyes, and asked if that was good - I simply said once they're dry, I want them to fall AT or BELOW my eyebrows.

So here's the part in the story where my hair texture (the afore-mentioned natural waviness) comes into play. *ahem* Apparently the shorter my hair is, the more wavy it thinks it wants to be. As she put it, it has more "bend." She went about drying my hair, spritzing it with volumizing spray, then tousling it with the blow dryer. The sides and back fell beautifully. Never before had I gotten a cut that took full advantage of the natural wave so well! I loved it.

But then there's the bangs.

Are they below my eyebrows? Um, no.

Are they AT my eyebrows? Again, no.

Are they just above my eyebrows? Hell no.

They are, without a doubt, a full 3/4" ABOVE my eyebrows. No kidding, they are freakin' SHORT.

Mind you, they're cute, at least that's what everyone at work says. But they're SHORT! I can't do a damned thing with them! It'll be time for a trim before they've grown out to a manageable length!

I'm crushed. I'm at a loss for what to do. And again, I LOVE the rest of the cut - it's easy to deal with in the morning, all it takes is a little saltwater spray (some "Beach Head" stuff by KMS) and let it air dry, and it looks great - not just kinda wavy, but almost CURLY! Me? Curly? Who knew?!?!? But the bangs? Arrrgh. Quite frustrating.

So what's a girl to do? (see poll at right if you give a rat's ass!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home