Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Ham, egg & cheese bagels - part 1 (background story)

Let me preface this all by saying - I FREAKIN' HATE ALLERGIES! In fact, one of the only things I despise more than my sensitivity to dust and mold spores is the MEDICATION I HAVE TO TAKE TO TREAT IT. It makes me very, very sleepy (and apparently just a tad irritable).

That having been said....

So last night I popped a Zyrtec. The Doctor put me on this crap last fall when it was discovered (via a VERY strong allergic reaction) that I am allergic to something (could be dust, could be mold, we're not sure, and I am NOT allowing them to turn me into a human-pincushion to find out!). I took the blasted Zyrtec (which in some college towns is probably used when Roofies can't be located) for two weeks. The label indicated that it "might cause drowsiness." Um, ya think? For those two weeks, I was an absolute zombie. Mind you, the hives finally went away, and my sinuses were clear, but I was barely conscious to enjoy it!

However, the last couple weeks have been sinus hell. I am in denial about the fact that I have a chronic sinus infection that won't go away, and I'm trying to treat it like it's allergies. And, in truth, the Zyrtec did help. I woke up today not 100% better, but certainly improved. And barely awake enough to function. I consumed more caffeine today than the law should allow (and yet, due to the apparently system-depressing effects of the allergy med, my heartrate didn't increase a bit!)

So, we'll give this crap another couple days and see if it does the trick. If it does, I'm afriad I'll have to actually *gasp!* renew my prescription and take this stuff regularly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home