Friday, April 16, 2004

"It's gettin' hot in herrrrreee......"

Sorry to make reference to that song (I know everyone who reads this will be cursing me hours later when that tune is still bobbling around in their brain). However, it seems appropriate considering the current frenzied state of my office.

Let me set the stage for you... our department consists of women. Lots of them. Twelve of us to be exact. That's about 11 too many as far as I'm concerned. I've typically worked with mostly men, so it took me some time to adjust to this excess of estrogen. In addition, our department is rather sequestered from the rest of the company - we call it The Bat Cave. Frequently it's very catty, bordering on hostile, but most of the time, the atmosphere up here is a lot of fun.

Now, seeing as we spend all day staring at each other, we all get a little tickled when a man comes cruising through our office... And if he's attractive? Heh. Everyone rolls out of their cubicles into the center of the office to catch the rear view as he passes.

Obviously we're a little starved for entertainment up here.

So about two weeks ago, we get an announcement from Corporate about a new G.M. starting. Everyone was expecting that he would resemble each of the previous G.M.'s we've had through here - Older man, large gut, grey/no hair, married with 14 children and 63 grand-children, yadda yadda yadda. We were wrong. SO wrong.

One morning as we all sat around BS'ing, catching up on "American Idol," and talking about our weekend plans, this man entered the office. He was a bit on the short side, but oh so super-fine. Black hair, brown eyes, perfect smile, tanned and BUILT. All fresh-faced and eager to get started!! In an instant, every woman in our department turned into a puddle of mush. We were speechless. He was a God. A living Adonis in khaki cargo pants.

Within an hour of his arrival, people were buzzing (and not solely in our department) - he's 37, he just moved here from Tennessee, and most importantly, he's single! While all of us 'attached' girls were content to simply lust, the singletons were on the prowl, and things were getting competitive pretty quickly. Suddenly I had calls from 3 separate women asking me to arrange an after-work "Happy Hour" so they could mingle with the new guy (apparently I've made a name for myself as the Social Butterfly around here... that, and I've got more balls than the average bear, so I would not be too bashful to invite Adonis out for a beer).

So here we are, two weeks later, and the excitement still hasn't faded. And I just don't get it! I mean, sure, I enjoy watching him walk by, and am appreciative of his chiseled bone structure, and flawlessly straight pearly white teeth. But really! Sheesh, I'd swear these girls are all in heat! Suddenly the skirts around here are shorter, the tops are lower cut and the heels are higher. Um, excuse me, two weeks ago you'd be hard-pressed to find a female in this office who wasn't wearing jeans and a tee-shirt, and now suddenly they're all fashion plates?

Terribly amusing indeed. I just love watching them all scramble when he walks through. And if he actually stops to talk to anyone? Everyone gathers around her desk after the fact, to get a rundown of each and every word he uttered.

I'm so freakin' glad I'm not single, and can laugh this all off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home